I was shocked to hear it. I really thought it had stopped being ‘cool’ a long time ago.
“That’s so queer.” He said, the first time, referring to someones Instagram account. I looked him dead in the eye. “Stop. You have no right.” But he didn’t. The words ‘Fagg*t,’ ‘Queer’, and ‘Gay’ were used several more times as an insult throughout the conversation. Eventually I left, utterly disgusted.
So why is it so important to stop using these terms like this?
Well first of all you may think it’s cool, but I don’t care how many bro-points you gain, insulting someone via their sexuality. But really, that’s only the surface of this issue. Yeah, it’s mean, but it’s so much more too.
Have you ever heard of the butterfly effect? So essentially, everything you do makes ripples. It goes a lot further than you thought it would, in a lot of ways.
- You make gay synonymous with bad. You make kids feel lesser for their feelings.
- You are furthering this insult, keeping the cycle going. Just stop.
- YOU ARE HURTING MILLIONS OF PEOPLE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY
- You are bullying. I do not care if you said it to a gay person or not. You are being a bully. End of story.
- 23% of gay or bisexual teens have tried to take their own lives and 56% have self harmed. You are an accomplice to these murders of young children who did nothing wrong.
- You are saying that it’s ok for millions upon millions of people to be degraded world-wide so you can… be cool? Grow up.
- You are creating a community that is unsafe
- Back to the statistics – More than 85% of LGBTQ+ youth have been harassed at school in the past year. You are making your school a place where kids may be afraid to attend.
- So, so much more.
So why would you use these descriptive terms as insults? Can you honestly not grasp the idea that there are other words out there? You want to be ‘cool?’
Buy a dictionary.